Autumn. The season of fallen leaves, Halloween, nights drawing in and counting the sleeps till Christmas.
With the festive break around the corner, planning your son or daughter’s education may not feel like a priority right now. But trust me, September 2016 will be here before you know it. From one parent to another, time flies when you are busy. Whatever they aspire to be, researching their options and making an informed decision can make all the difference, helping to turn these into a reality.
An Open Event is an opportunity for you to find out more about the colleges that your son or daughter may be interested in attending. The format varies from college to college, but typically includes a chance to speak to staff and current students, tour the facilities and ask questions.
So, if you are going to an Open Event this autumn with your son or daughter, here are our top tips to help you make the most of Open Events!
- Visit the college website to find out more about the courses that your son or daughter may be interested in attending. You can even request a prospectus to help prepare any questions before the Open Event.
- Try to talk to a current student. Often, they will be on hand to assist visitors. Their experience will speak volumes and your son or daughter is more likely to take their views seriously.
- Ask about what former students have gone on to do.
- Encourage your son or daughter to think about what they want to do after college – and check whether the course they are interested in at college will be a good route.
- If your son or daughter is unsure about their future plans, ask to speak to a careers advisor who can help them whittle down the options.
- If your son or daughter may need financial support, our friendly Advice and Admissions team can provide advice on bursaries and answer finance related queries.
- If you’ve been directed to one curriculum area, ask if you can also have a tour of the college. That way you and your son or daughter will get a better feel for the place. After all, they could be spending the best part of two to three years there.
At Activate Learning, we are holding a number of Open Events in November at our colleges in Banbury and Bicester, Oxford and Reading. If you are not familiar with our colleges (for example, if you finished your education years ago), our Open Events can be an ideal opportunity to put your mind at ease as a parent.
These free events are designed to help students like your son or daughter find out more about the learning experience we offer. Your son or daughter will learn more about the student experience at our colleges, meet staff and students and ask questions. They will also have a chance to tour our facilities, including our impressive hair and beauty salons where we train the future professionals in this industry, our industry standard hospitality and catering restaurants and our Motorsports specialist campus. From apprenticeships to Uniformed Public Services courses, we offer a range of courses that equip learners with the skills, knowledge and attitude to succeed in their careers.